Before & After: My BIG Crucial Conversation by Maureen Winningham
Like many of us, Maureen Winningham didn’t grow up in a home where family members practiced crucial conversations regularly and well. Rather, she grew up in one of those households where he who yells the loudest gets his point across. The worst culprit of all was her father whom she labeled “Mr. Blow-and-Go” for his explosive temper and anger-filled communication style.
Many years later, after one particularly dreadful Christmas dinner, Maureen used her skills to hold a long overdue crucial conversation with her father in which she recognized her role in the problem, explained the damage her father’s communication style had caused in her life, and asked him for a way to repair their relationship to a healthy level of love and respect.
Watch as Maureen describes how that one conversation literally changed her life and helped her build a special relationship with her father before it was too late.
- How do you hold a crucial conversation via e-mail?
- Facing a Crucial Conversation?
- How do you handle a crucial conversation with a really difficult person?
- How can I help participants address the right crucial conversation?
- Crucial Applications: Able Arguers are Ten Times Happier than Silent Spouses